Thursday, April 29, 2010

I Dream of Sleeping

In all honesty this was a rather pointless doctor appointment in the grand scheme of things. Basically I walked in, waited for him to arrive, and was told the same exact thing I was told before. By the other doctor. Only difference was that this guy could order more sleep studies to be done. So I do that again during the day time, this Tuesday. They're testing to confirm narcolepsy.

The good: I'd have a diagnosis.
The bad: Controlled substances for life.

If it is as they suspect, I've likely been suffering from the effects of it for years now. Since high school at least. Which explains a ton, actually.

Essentially all those super awesome in-depth dreams I have and recall with such great clarity every night are both a boon and a curse. Narcolepsy is scientifically cooler than portrayed by the media and yet amazingly less funny. No cause for concern yet, so I won't concern you!

I report to the hospital at 8am and stay all day, napping on cue. They'll be measuring the time it takes me to fall asleep and the time it takes me from that point to reach REM sleep. Those with narcolepsy get little to no Deep sleep, instead bypassing it straight to REM. This was observed in my overnight sleep study, but to confirm I have to do it every time I sleep -- even during day time naps.

We'll see how this goes. I remain optimistic regardless.

No comments:

Post a Comment