Saturday, January 23, 2010

Pudding Fail

The flu I had lead to a sinus infection, the source of this lingering headache. Thankfully my doctor wrote me a script for some antibiotics while I was there and I've been on them for a few days now. Aside from that, all is well.

The pills are pretty big so I can't feasibly swallow them. What happens is when I swallow anything solid, all goes well until it hits the top of the Oblivion Gate. Then it feels like I swallowed sharp glass and my body ceases to allow the object any further. I can only swallow extremely tiny pills whole and even then there's discomfort.

My first plan was to crush them up and stir them into some chocolate pudding to mask the taste. A tactic that usually works. Don't listen to Marry Poppins, a spoonful of sugar helps not at all.

I quickly learned however that this antibiotic is mighty gross. I managed to finish the pudding, because I had to, but it was not pleasant at all. I decided after that, that I would do it the hardcore way. By dissolving the pill in a small amount of hot water and then slamming it back like a shot. This tastes godawful but only for an instant. If you've never dissolved a pill before, it's pretty neat.

Science!
The bright cherry red shell on these bad boys demonstrates the process nicely. Similar steps take place inside your body after you swallow a pill, essentially I just skip that part and get straight to absorption. You have to be careful though, if you do this with a time-release pill you will overdose on whatever is inside. I always take extra care to ask my pharmacist if the pill can be chewed. It gets me some odd looks, but it's an answer I need to know.

I leave around February 18th for Florida. It's time at long last to reclaim all of my worldly possessions. And my cat. I will be driving down with "the family" instead of flying. That way I can check the truck personally and make sure everything is accounted for. I'll be gone for about a week, give or take a day. Why? Because my grandfather insists I enjoy myself and has tacked on a free vacation while I'm down there. Vacation fun will be had in Orlando, not Tampa. Just to clarify.

No comments:

Post a Comment