Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memorial Day

Sunday was the dedication for Jason Hernandez, it was a really moving event. A clear blue sky and a field bathed in warm light really set the mood. The speeches given moved the crowd to tears, even those who didn't know him were crying when John, Jason's Father, read a letter written by Jason before he died.


I made a post about it way back when, but as a refresher, Jason was a soldier serving in Iraq when a improvised explosive device killed him in 2007. On his 21st birthday no less. More than that he was a son, brother, husband, and a friend to all who knew him. A kid we all grew up with.

He had such an impact on everyone's lives that the primary road in our city, Route 43, has been renamed after him so that he will always be remembered.

I ran into a bunch of old friends from school after the ceremony. People I had not seen in a face-to-face sort of way in far too many years, though we've always kept in touch. Like Makenzie, Mel's beautiful daughter. The last time I saw her was when I held her the day she was born, at the hospital. Now she's a kid grown, full of opinions and that faux independence we all flaunted as children. No amount of shared pictures could have done that justice. I look forward to seeing them all some more before I move permanently.

As an aside, I hope you all had a pleasant Memorial Day. I did! There was an array of tasty BBQ food, hard lemonade, and plenty of good company. Never forget what the day off of work is for though.

No comments:

Post a Comment